Words and Wine Writing Retreat
Join Thunder Bay Resort for Words and Wine Weekend! With a welcoming and productive atmosphere, this 3-day, 2-night writer’s retreat is designed to be a creative hub providing an enthusiastic approach to writing as industry professionals and experienced authors assist you in developing personally and professionally through an exchange of ideas, information and inspirational techniques.
What To Expect
Writers, readers and publishing industry professionals will all benefit from attending this casual event. Meet others who share your passion for the written word. Single writers, couples and entire book clubs are all welcome. Bring a friend or treat yourself to a weekend away as wine tasting, a unique elk viewing dinner ride, and tranquil northeast Michigan surroundings inspire your muse.
- Lots of time to write
- Meet fellow writers and authors
- Informative presentations from successful authors and industry professionals
- Relax with delicious wines from the Sunrise Side Wine & Hops Trail
- Connect mind, body and nature during the resort's famous Elk Viewing Dinner Ride
Upcoming Words and Wine Events
- May 23-25, 2014
INFO & RESERVATIONS | 800.729.9375
*Please Note: Itinerary is subject to change at any time without notice
- 3:00pm - 7:30pm - Lodging and Event Registration
- 6:30pm - 8:30pm - Wine Tasting, Mixer & Snacks in Pine Cone Quarters
- 8:45pm - Writing Weekend Kicks Off / Writing Contest Announced
- 9:45pm - Retreat To Lodging or Join Fellow Writers for Community Campfire (Weather Permitting)
- 8:00am - 9:00am - Breakfast at The Clubhouse Grill
- 9:15am - Keynote Presentation: Follow Your Bliss - Define Yourself as a Writer
- 10:30am - 11:30am - Writing Workshop #1
- 11:30am - 12:30pm - Lunch On Your Own (The Clubhouse Grill, Local Area Restaurants, Lodging)
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm - Writing Workshop #2
- 2:15pm - 3:00pm - Writing Workshop #3
- 3:15pm - 5:00pm - Book Signing, Public Mixer & Wine Tasting, Q&A *This portion of the event is open to the public. Purchase event tickets by calling 800-729-9375
- 5:30pm - Elk Viewing Dinner Ride Departs
- 5:30pm - 6:30pm - Elk Viewing Carriage Ride
- 6:45pm - Dinner and Wine Tasting at Elk Antler Cabin
- 10:00pm - Elk Ride Returns to Lodging *Time varies by event
- 9:30am - 10:45am - Buffet Brunch at The Clubhouse Grill
- 11:00am - Writing Contest Award Presentation & Prizes Awarded
Melissa Ford Lucken (a.k.a. Isabelle Drake)
Fiction Author and University Professor
Fiction author and professor, Melissa Ford Lucken has been writing & teaching writing for over fifteen years. Writing as Isabelle Drake and Melissa Ford, she has published more than 35 novels, novellas, and short stories. She's also published academic work and is a Writing Program Faculty Chair at Lansing Community College where she teaches all areas of writing.
Dennis C. Brewer
Dennis C. Brewer is a technology enthusiast who has been associated with electrical and electronic projects since grade school. His experience includes an FCC commercial radio broadcast engineer license, twelve years in the US Navy as an Interior Communications electrician attaining the rank of Chief Petty Officer and another dozen years as an Army Combat Engineer Officer. He has 12 years of experience in State of Michigan Government as a Novell certified network engineer and information technology specialist that included hands on and administration experience with enterprise level planning, standards implementation, data security, and identity management. His book and magazine writing credits include Build Your Own Free-to-Air (FTA) Satellite TV System (Wiley, 2011), Wiring Your Digital Home For Dummies (Wiley, 2006), Picture Yourself Networking Your Home or Small Office (Course Technology, 2008), Security Controls for Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 IT Compliance: Authorization, Authentication, and Access (Wiley, 2005), and Green My Home!: 10 Steps to Lowering Energy Costs and Reducing Your Carbon Footprint (Kaplan, 2008).
Internet Marketing Specialist and Website Consultant
Will A. McConnell
Web Developer and Social Media Specialist
Since 2010, Will has dedicated him talents to popular social media (think Facebook, Twitter, etc) to assist in helping small- to mid-sized business in Michigan develop an online presence.
Learn More About Thunder Bay Resort's Special Events and Activities
Please complete the contact form provided below to receive the latest news, info, promotions and upcoming events at Thunder Bay Resort.
Request More Info
Visit Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay Resort is a beautiful, all-season resort poised on 500 acres in the heart of Northeast Michigan. Known for its award-winning Elk Viewing Dinner Ride and Wine Tasting, Thunder Bay Resort also boasts deluxe lodging, an RV Park, championship golf, and an array of outdoor entertainment and activities. Additionally, the resort hosts a variety of exceptional events and its central location makes it the ideal place to stay while exploring the many exciting nearby area attractions in the tip of the mitt.